Model 100/HX-20 LCD Display Problems

Marvin Johnston marvin at west.net
Sun Aug 26 16:22:08 CDT 2018

In getting ready for VCFMW, I started looking at some model 100s and
HX-20 notebook computers. Most of them have blank LCD displays, so I
figured there might be a common problem.

So far, I've found leaky electrolytics on all of them, usually 10 uF,
but there are some others with all of them so far associated with the
LCD power supplies. The Epsons seem less prone to this than the model
100s, but both have the problem.

Has anyone that has done repair work on these computers found the major
problem to be leaky capacitors?

My gut reaction at this point is to just replace all of the
electrolytics. Does this sound like a reasonable longer term approach
rather than just replacing the obvious leaky ones?