CESI VM8128 PDP8-A 128 K MOS?

Doug Ingraham dpi at dustyoldcomputers.com
Thu Aug 30 09:20:29 CDT 2018

As stated this is a 128k word mos memory board for the 8/a processor.  On
its own it would only present as a 32k board.  To make it work as a 128k
you also need to have a M8416 board which drives the additional address
lines.  And not all 8/a chassis had support for this.  All 4 of my
backplanes have a label indicating KT8A support.  I am guessing that
originally the additional address lines were not connected across the
backplane on the 6th connector.  My card does have some bad bits and one of
these days I will get around to replacing some chips.  This is probably why
I was able to get it not paired with the fancy MMU card.

I have an M8417 but have been unable to find an M8416 at a price I was
willing to pay.  Apparently there are still a few 8/a's with these cards in
service in Genrad testers and that makes the cards still valuable.

There is info on it in the PDP 8/a PDF's on bitsavers.  I think there was a
TSS8 variant that used it as a fast swap but I don't know of anything else
from DEC that supported it.

Best Wishes!

--
Doug Ingraham