Opening RL02 disk pack

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 10:28:31 CST 2018

On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 4:28 AM Christian Corti via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> Here are some pictures that hopefully clarify my question:
> http://computermuseum.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/pics/temp/rl02/
>
> How do I separate the platter from the top of the cartridge/cover?

I don't know that anyone did that back in the day - the pack cleaners
I'm aware of had arms that wiped the top and bottom surfaces of the
platter while the platter was still mounted inside the shell.  I know
that RK05 packs _were_ opened and the platter/hub assembly removed,
cleaned, and replaced, but they didn't have the locking handle of an
RL01/RL02 cart.

Also, RK05s can be formatted by users (and often were), but owning to
embedded servo data, you _can't_ format RL01/RL02 media in the field,
so I'd be hesitant to dismantle the hub on an RL02 pack.

-ethan