Opening RL02 disk pack

Paul Birkel pbirkel at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 10:11:03 CST 2018

-----Original Message-----
From: cctalk [mailto:cctalk-bounces at classiccmp.org] On Behalf Of Noel
Chiappa via cctalk
Sent: Friday, December 07, 2018 10:24 AM
To: cctalk at classiccmp.org
Cc: jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: Re: Opening RL02 disk pack

    > From>: Christian Corti

    > I thought that the DEC packs would be similar but no, DEC had to
invent
    > something different...

Huh? I thought RL0x drives use an IBM 5440 type pack (as used on the IBM
System/3 - I used one of those at my first computer job, they'd just gotten
it in); DEC may have used their own format (and servo track stuff), I don't
know much about the 5440.

	Noel

----
Quoted from "DISK DRIVE CONTROL: THE EARLY YEARS" (Abramovitch & Franklin)
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/3206778_A_brief_history_of_disk_dri
ve_control

"DEC came out with the 125 TPI RL01 disk drive in 1978,which was the first
mass
produced full sectored (embedded) servo drive on the market."

Sounds to me like it was different, but in a good way?

paul