SunOS 2.4 Expliot (Re: Old Sparcstations

Camiel Vanderhoeven camiel.vanderhoeven at vmssoftware.com
Sat Dec 8 08:46:45 CST 2018

Yes, boot -s should have worked; also, once you have access to the passwd file by mounting the disk on a different system, you could just edit the file to remove the root password.

On 12/7/18, 4:20 AM, "cctech on behalf of Frank McConnell via cctech" <cctech-bounces at classiccmp.org on behalf of cctech at classiccmp.org> wrote:

    On Dec 6, 2018, at 10:39, Jeffrey S. Worley wrote:
    > The Sparcstation 4/330 I reworked the NVRAM chip on….

    > I wanted root.

    Was there something in the way of you booting single-user?

    I am thinking Suns of that era let you into a boot ROM (via BREAK on serial console, or L1+A on Sun keyboard and framebuffer console) from which you could enter a command like "boot -s” which would boot to a single-user shell.

    And physical console access is a good place to start for the win.  It is less effective than it once was, but remains a good first choice.

    -Frank McConnell