PET peve thing... Editors

allison allisonportable at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 09:25:59 CST 2018

On 12/13/2018 12:05 AM, Sean Conner via cctalk wrote:
> It was thus said that the Great allison via cctalk once stated:
>>>   I remember typing in TED.ASM from one of the PC magazines in the late 80s.
>>> Yes, it's for MS-DOS, but:
>>>
>>> 	1) The 8086 is somewhat, kind of, source compatible with the
>>> 	8080/Z80 (if you squint hard enough)
>> Your not serious?  Z80 or 8080 to 8086 is not too bad but the other way
>> is plain nuts.
>   I learned assembly on the 6809, then the 8086 (technically the 8088). I've
> always heard that it was designed to make porting code from the 8080/Z80
> easy.  But I never really learned the assembly for the 8080/Z80.  I only
> mentioned it because I think (if I recall) TED.COM was limited to editing
> around 60K or so (one segment's worth of memory).
The 6809 is one of the few I pay attention to as it was remarkably close
to the PDP-11.

The 8088/86 is that it was designed as a 8085 with a bag on the side.
The register
correspondence from 8080/8085 to 8088 is good and lofting code usually
works if
you watch for odd errors like AH, is that the value A hex, or
Accumulator high.  Z80
however in base is 8080/8085 but had a second set of identical registers
and 8088
has nothing like that.  So unless one keep the Z80 code to the 8080
register model
it does not translate well.   In the reverse direction the 8088 has
register (segment)
and a few other that would have to be sorted out by hand.

The size limit of 60K is not a problem as what I want is aimed at files
in the 7-32K range.
>   But I can see it won't fit your needs.
If it wasn't a handful to get ported to z80 it might have made a start.

I found EDIT and EDITM both are based on EDIT CPMSIG vol 16 where edit M
is more cleaned up
and handles some things better.  Both are very small under 2.8K.  So
that makes for a platform
to add to by wiring in a set of recurrent edit macros that repeat and
update the screen.

Allison