flashx20 - Floppy and screen for the Epson HX-20

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Sun Dec 16 22:56:02 CST 2018

On Sun, 16 Dec 2018, Will Cooke via cctalk wrote:
> Somewhere in my searches I recall reading that the 3 1/2" drives used
> the same format as the 5 1/4" ones.  Maybe 40 tracks of 16 256 byte
> sectors.  Oddly, I believe that 2 tracks are "reserved for CP/M" even
> though it is in ROM and not stored on disk.

It was not uncommon for CP/M disks to have "reserved" or "system" tracks,
even when the particular disk was not a bootable "system" disk.

I don't remember for sure, and don't have convenient access to my
materials, but 16 256 byte physical sectors makes sense.

The drive manual
http://electrickery.xs4all.nl/comp/px8/doc/PF-10Manual.pdf
SAYS 9 512 byte sectors, but that seems likely to be in error from a cut
and paste boilerplate from a different machine, because the more specific
information is all for "64 sectors", which means CP/M RECORDS or "logical
sectors" of 128 bytes each.  THAT would be consistent with either 8 512
byte PHYSICAL sectors, or 16 256 byte PHYSICAL sectors.

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com