More old stuff incoming

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 06:40:56 CST 2018

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 at 13:35, Bill Degnan <billdegnan at gmail.com> wrote:

> 486 / early pentium computers have their own support challenges, both hardware and software.  The skills differ from the XT era PC clones and such.

Yup.

> This is definitely a vintage era of it's own, I call the GUI era to differentiate it from the WWW era that followed it.

I like that distinction.

>  The broader GUI vintage includes all Windows/MAC, Amiga, NeXT, SGI desktops made for home use,

Whoah whoah whoah, what?

SGI made home computers?!

> desktop publishing, mouse-driven applications, LAN comms, and before widespread Internet communications.  The GUI era would have its origins in the 70's but it's heyday would be 1985-95.

Yep, sounds about right.

> To that end, there are some tough to find GUI era items that were trash 10 years ago that get a lot of $$ on Ebay now.  Color adapter for NeXT, certain Soundblaster cards for thr 486 PC, first gen Pentium 60/66 machines, Working / complete and functioning Novell network demos, BE boxes, MAC Ivory systems, etc.

Yes indeed.

I recycled stuff  in 2014 when I was leaving the country that's now
sellable -- and I did sell everything I possibly could.

5¼" HD floppy drives -- if Fred will spare me, PC-AT style 1.2 MB
drives -- fetched $30--$40 each, and I had at least half a dozen of
'em.