Original PDP-11/10 [was: Re: Origin of 'Straight 8' name]

Bob Smith bobsmithofd at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 11:19:33 CST 2018

when the multi rack PDP11/20 (on the switch panel) was being assembled
for delivery to Aeroflote, circa 1971 or 2 iirc, the unit did not have
a working power fail recovery capability.  The machine was then
referred to as an 11/15. At that time, the PDP11 was considered a
controlled technolgy item, and there were some guys present for the
testing in the mill on 1-2.  Anyone familiar with 1=2 at that time,
knows the floors did shift with heavy loads. This caused said computer
to suffer power failures as the racks shifted, bus cables shifted and
the machine would crash. after about the 15th crash, no pun intended,
the delivery to Aeroflot was approved.  A couple of years later, the
Ryad version of the 11 was delivered to a shop, and found to be an
exact duplicate of the delivered 11. it dd not have power fail
capability.
bob