OCR old software listing

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Mon Dec 31 19:33:09 CST 2018

On the other hand, just for the FUN of it,
can you write some software to find and fix (or simply flag) the most
common errors?

When I had to terminate my publisher, I was s'posed to receive a copy of
their customer database.
They deleted all delimiters (spaces, commas, periods, and other
punctuation), and then printed it out on greenbar with a font that used
the same character for zero and letter 'O'; and same character for
one, lower case 'l', and upper cse 'I'.  Surprisingly, they did NOT use a
bad ribbon and printhead!

An acquaintance OCR'ed it. They were able to get what they thought was "80
to 90%" from the originals, but not from a xerox copy that visually
seemed to be just as good.

I spent a little time writing some simple code to parse and fix most of
it.
Mostly simple context, such as a zero between two letters is likely an
'O', or an 'O' between two numerals is likely a zero.  Similarly with one,
lower case 'L' and upper case 'I'.   Some OCR software now pays attention
to context.
Five consecutive numerals following two capital letters is likely to be a
zip code, and end of the record.  USUALLY. Comparison of those digits
with the two letters in a zipcode database provided partial confirmation.
. . . and so forth . . .

Not a practical use of time, but a fun exercise in parsing.

Another time, the .SRT file that I found for "Company Man" used upper case
'I' instead of lower case 'L'!  (AND had a three minute offset for the
start time)    Did not take very long to fix.

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com