PDP-11/45 RSTS/E boot problem

Fritz Mueller fritzm at fritzm.org
Mon Dec 31 22:05:07 CST 2018

> On Dec 31, 2018, at 5:15 PM, Paul Koning <paulkoning at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> On Dec 31, 2018, at 6:32 PM, Henk Gooijen via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>>
>> There are one or two bits in a register of the RK11 that have a different meaning/function, depending on the controller being a -C or -D. The RK11-C was quickly replaced by the RK11-D, but I guess RSTS would know the difference. Other guys here will be able to give a lot better light on this than me (Paul?)
>
> I did not know that.  If someone can point me to the description of the differences I should be able to say what RSTS will do with them.

Oh, I didn’t know that either!

> Did you specify overlapped seek in SYSGEN?

Yes, I did enable overlapped seek during SYSGEN, and I did just have some trouble with overlapped seeks on my RK11-C (though I repaired that well enough to pass the associated MAINDEC before trying RSTS).

I’ll try a non-overlap SYSGEN soon/next -- right now it takes me a little over two hours to image a pack using PDP11GUI and a DL11 at 9600 baud, which is a bit painful.  So I’d like to capture some logic analyzer traces off the RK11-C while I have this repro case before I write over my current pack.  If there is something still up with my overlapped seeks, I’d like to characterize and fix it anyway.

	cheers,
	  --FritzM.