chip technology dead-ends (was: Foonlies)

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Thu Feb 1 08:58:07 CST 2018

> On Feb 1, 2018, at 12:40 AM, Mark Linimon via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 07:07:23PM -0800, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
>> Back in the 70s, 4000-series CMOS was among the slowest logic around.
>
> I really wish I still had one technical magazine that came out during
> the late 70s/early 80s.  (I don't remember which one it was, anymore.)
> It was devoted to keeping you up with the latest chip/minicomputer
> technology.

Lambda? (Later renamed VLSI Design if I remember right.)  I still have the first issue, with an article by Ron Rivest describing the full-custom RSA chip (512 bit ALU) he designed.

As for CMOS for high speed computing, I recently read an interesting article about CDC spinoff ETA betting the company on that.  It worked in the sense that the technology was a success, but the company closed anyway due to the fact that it was controlled by CDC.

http://ethw.org/w/index.php?title=First-Hand:The_First_CMOS_And_The_Only_Cryogenically_Cooled_Supercomputer&oldid=154872

	paul