IBM 9331-011 8" External Floppy Drive - eBay 183038271095

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Thu Feb 1 19:39:54 CST 2018

On Thu, 1 Feb 2018, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
> Exactly what does a FDADP do for *reading*?  Nothing that I can figure,
> other than re-arrange the 50 line SA-800 interface to a 34-line SA-400 type.

for reading, it doesn't do anything other than cabling.  It means using a
flat 34 cable and a flat 50 cable, without the trivial effort of making
your own 34 to 50 cable.

> For those drives that require RWC/TG40 signals, I agree that *writing*
> may benefit from it.

THAT is the part that my homemade cables don't do.

But, it was extremely rare that I needed to WRITE 8".
When I did have to, I tried to write to fresh empty disks, so that I could
stay mostly on lower numbered tracks.