Maxtor full-height 5.25" drives of death

allison allisonportable at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 13:44:20 CST 2018

On 2/7/18 2:36 PM, Ian Finder via cctalk wrote:
> XT2190s, XT1140s, some of the early ESDI disks...
> I have 6 XT2190s at home, and maybe one of the damn things works.
>
> Does anyone out here know, beyond speculation, what some of the common
> failure modes of these drives are? I'm not opposed to open-HDA surgery.
>
> And I probably won't do anything.
> But the question of WHY this line of drives in particular sucks so much has
> haunted me for some time...

Drives of the day were power hungry and ran hot.  Heat is a killer.

I have a few that work but I got them  young and kept them cool
so they held up much better.  The trick was BA123 (large and roomy)
and an extra fan behind it.

Another drive was the SA250, kept cool the ran long but with poor airflow
maybe 16 months.

Allison