How to enable USB drives in both Windows 98SE AND MS-DOS 7.1.

Grant Taylor cctalk at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Wed Feb 7 21:20:53 CST 2018

On 02/06/2018 12:58 PM, Terry Stewart via cctalk wrote:
> The title might suggest to topic is not vintage, but the reason I did
> this myself was to facilitate classic computer disk imaging.

I'd think that something from ~20 years ago is indeed vintage.  (It's
closer to the 25 year old requirement for cards to be vintage, than
not.)  Just not quite as vintage as some of the other topics on cctalk.

> I’ve recently given USB drive capability to the MS-DOS 7.1 environment
> in a Windows 98SE computer I use for the purpose above. It was a bit of
> work configuring the machine to ensure both the MS-DOS drivers and the
> Windows 98SE drivers co-existed peacefully.

Intriguing.

I figured that such was possible, but I've never tried.

> I'm no  Windows 98 guru (or MS-DOS guru for that matter) so it may not
> be the most efficient or elegant of solutions.   However, it worked for
> me. That being the case I thought I’d document what I did.

I thought there were alternate config.sys and autoexec.bat files that
were used if you chose to reboot to MS-DOS mode, and possibly if you hit
F8 and chose command line during boot.

Quick Google searches make me think that the MS-DOS mode files are named
config.dos and autoexec.dos.  Then Windows will rename them when you
select reboot into MS-DOS mode.

> Hopefully the article will be useful to others who might want to do this.
>
> http://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/2018-02-05-USB-in-MS-DOS-and-Win98.htm

Thank you for sharing.

I'm filing that away for future use.

--