RX02 problem

Bill Gunshannon bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 16 18:50:56 CST 2018

On 02/03/2018 05:42 PM, Bill Gunshannon via cctalk wrote:

> On 02/03/2018 05:26 PM, allison via cctalk wrote:
>> On 02/03/2018 03:38 PM, Bill Gunshannon via cctalk wrote:
>>> Do we have any real RX02 experts?  My long time running
>>>
>>> RX02 seems to have decided to go on strike.  When I try to
>>>
>>> access it now it repeatedly loads and unloads the heads but
>>>
>>> never reads anything.  I can usually break out of it with
>>>
>>> control-C.  Attempts to boot from it have the same effect.
>>>

>>> Anybody else ever see this behavior?
>>>

>>> Oh yeah, I know the controllers are good as I also have an
>>>
>>> AK6DN emulator and it works (well up to a point, but that's
>>>
>>> a problem for another message.  :-)
>>>

>>> bill
>>>

>> HI,
>>
>> Assuming you haven't killed the media either the heads are crudded up
>> or the cable is partially disconnected.
> Ah ha.  I suspect the cable is bad.  I had to repair it once and
> I now suspect it is gone bad yet again.  Wonder if I have another
> cable that size floating around here somewhere.
>
>> FYI if the heads are crudded up the media with have a circular scratch
>> generally in the directory or boot areas (outer edges).  That kills the
>> media for reading that area.
> While possible I would expect that to develop slowly and this was sudden
> like.

Well, I made a new cable for my RX02.  No luck.  Any attempt
to access either drive just results in the rapid loading and
unloading of the head.  Happens when I try to boot them
or try to get a DIR after booting from the harddisk.

Anybody have any suggestions other than the RXes have
bit the farm?

bill