Writing emulators (was Re: VCF PNW 2018: Pictures!)

Eric Christopherson echristopherson at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 11:44:28 CST 2018

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 10:19 AM, Ray Arachelian via cctalk <
cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> On 02/19/18 19:36, Adrian Stoness via cctalk wrote:
> > whats invovled in makin an emulator?
> > i have a chunk of stuff for the phillips p1000
>
> Quite a lot actually.  A single CPU system is difficult enough, but a
> mainframe might be much, much harder.  The idea to use an existing
> emulator framework, such as SIMH, is a great one.

Ray, you've provided a few really excellent messages here.

[snip]

> Are you planning on emulating the whole machine, or just the userland?
> Might be easier to create a simulation of the OS in software on the host
> side the way that Executor did with MacOS - Cliff implemented his own
> version of MacOS 7.x, enough to be able to run most applications of that
> era, but not all.  see: https://github.com/ctm/executor.git and
> https://github.com/ctm/executor.git - some of this is called "High Level
> Emulation" and is sort of what WINE does (though wine isn't an emulator).

You put the same URL in twice there; did you intend for another URL?

I was quite a fan of Executor. It's cool to see that it's open source now.

> Be careful
> as there's a lot of "emu scene" folks out there with tons of free time,
> more than you might have, who will happily promise to help, but instead
> take your documentation, firmware, OS images, etc. and compete with you
> behind your back just to get there first, instead of actually helping
> you with your project.  On this latter point, I sadly speak from
> experience.

Wow, I didn't know about that. Good to know.

--
        Eric Christopherson