Which Operating System for my DCC-116 E / Entrex 480 / Nixdorf 620 / Data General Nova 1200 clone ?

Dominique Carlier dce at skynet.be
Tue Jan 16 11:03:32 CST 2018

Hello Jay (JRJ),

I'm not sure if I understand well, what do you mean by "drawings", do
you need additional images of the beast, maybe to better identify it ?
If yes :
http://www.zeltrax.com/classiccmp_forum/tapetransfert/d116_panel_01.jpg
http://www.zeltrax.com/classiccmp_forum/tapetransfert/d116_panel_02.jpg
http://www.zeltrax.com/classiccmp_forum/tapetransfert/d116_panel_side.jpg

Regarding SimH it was one of my questions in previous posts: Is there
way to make bootable tapes with the data provided with SimH, apparently
the answer is yes and it is excellent news ! I have never used this
emulator but I will follow your suggestions and try to install the
equivalent of a Nova 1200.
After I do not know how to convert a disk image into a bootable tape.
Regarding RDOS I see that I downloaded with SimH a file "rdos_d31.dsk",
how to proceed to put this .dsk on a tape?
Regarding my hardware, I have two possibilities, I'm currently working
on a set of machines that I'm going to dedicate to the production of
bootable media for a whole assortment of machines, I want to be able to
generate floppies 8 inches, 5 1/4, 3 1/2 (DD or HD), and also 9 track tapes.

For that I have two machines:
- One is a TU81 Plus attached to a VAX 4000-505A running OpenVMS 6.2
http://www.zeltrax.com/classiccmp_forum/tapetransfert/tu81plus.jpg

- The other is a Shugart (KENNEDY) 9612 which can write in 800, 1600,
3200 or 6250 bpi, this tape drive is equipped with a SCSI interface but
I do not know yet if I can connect this drive to a conventional Adaptec
scsi interface and I do not know which program I can use. I read
somewhere that Linux seems a good choice concerning the support of old
tape drive, that'is right ?
http://www.zeltrax.com/classiccmp_forum/tapetransfert/kennedy_9612.jpg

Anyway, all is to make a 800 bpi bootable tape to mount on the Mag-tape
Pertec 8840A of my DCC D-116(E).

Regarding the floppy drive I have a project but just started, and as
usual no information, I recovered this triple 8 inches diskette drive ,
it is a Shugart Model 3800 (or SA3800)

http://www.zeltrax.com/classiccmp_forum/tapetransfert/shugartSA3800_01.jpg
http://www.zeltrax.com/classiccmp_forum/tapetransfert/shugartSA3800_02.jpg
I found a brochure about this:
http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/shugart/brochures/Shugart_SA3800_Brochure_Feb78.pdf

I do not know if there is a way to connect this machine to my D-116, I
don't know if I have the required interface in the D-116, and finally I
don't know anything about the interface currently present inside the
SA3800. This machine was hooked to another rare machine, a "Hermes Data
System 200 FD", machine currently down, and no doc, no info:
http://www.zeltrax.com/classiccmp_forum/tapetransfert/hermes_data_system_200_fd.jpg

I wanted to use the Hermes as a telex and one of these floppy drive -
Although it's an SD one - for data transfer between my recent machines
and my dear (still dead) Sperry Univac UTS 40, but that's another topic
again, sorry, I'm scattering ;-)

FYI I still have many lacks of knowledge, I do not know what an AWS
image format. I do not know anything about licensing and copywrite
issues in the context of retro-computer preservation, I've always found
that very inappropriate in regard of the efforts we make, the time we
take on our lives to protect this legacy for the unique purpose of
preserving a piece of history related to the evolution of technology.
Fortunately there are people like you, in a good spirit of mutual help
that goes beyond the borders of countries and continents,  a big thank
you for that!

Dominique