Google, Wikipedia directly on ASCII terminal?

devin davison lyokoboy0 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 14:40:57 CST 2018

I personally have had a hard time even trying to get a traditional
POTS phone line installed over here. The only offerings from atnt and
comcast are voip nonsense. Its kinda redundant and buggy trying to
dial up over a comcast voip line. ive tried it, it drops constantly.
The sales staff do not even know what i am asking for when i ask for a
traditional line over a voip line.

Being as it was so hard to get a phone line set up over here, i looked
into this as an option. Its called a wifi232.

http://biosrhythm.com/?page_id=1453

I tried one out on a tandy 1000 and it worked flawlessly. I had set up
linux system and made it remotely accessable via telnet, and was able
to reach it via the dos running tandy 1000. I did not have the correct
adapter at the time, but i dont see anything stopping you from
plugging it into a vt100 directly.

I was looking to use the phone line as a kind of last resort
connection to deliver mail and keep in touch, but ironically, it goes
down more often than any other provider, and is the first thing to go
in a storm. I personally have been looking into getting a cheap cell
phone under the provider "ting" which only bills you for the data
used. Set that up as a wifi hotspot and get it talking to the wifi232
connected to a dumb terminal and i think it would be a good setup. if
you telnet into a linux system that has the lynx web browser
installed, you can view google and wikipedia quite easily.

Let me know if you think that kind of setup would be of any use to you.