Google, Wikipedia directly on ASCII terminal?

Grant Taylor cctalk at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Tue Jan 16 16:59:21 CST 2018

On 01/16/2018 03:15 PM, Peter Corlett via cctalk wrote:
> The tightwad fix is to bodge a PP3 battery onto a line splitter, which is
> often enough to convince modems that there is a phone line. There is no
> dial tone nor ring signal, so you need to turn off dial tone detection on
> the calling modem ("ATX1", IIRC) and somehow tell the answering computer
> to send "ATA" to answer at the right time.

Sounds like an interesting hack.  But should probably be good enough for
most of what is desired.

I'm going to have to look into this.

> It's just a bit of test gear, which you should be able to find on eBay. I
> suspect it will be priced like obscure test gear as well.

That's what I've found.

> With the kit I have available, I'd just spin up Asterisk or FreeSWITCH
> on a handy Linux box, set up a minimal local-only PBX, and plug the
> modem into a VoIP ATA. This eliminates four hops worth of latency and
> jitter via an external VoIP provider and thus should reduce or eliminate
> retrains and disconnects.

Yep, that's the route that I'd go too.  Or maybe even FXS ports in an
adapter in the PBX itself.

Link - Analog Telephony Cards for Asterisk | Digium
   - https://www.digium.com/products/telephony-cards/analog

> I could try and order an analogue phone line, but I suspect that KPN
> doesn't have a script for that and would get very confused. (I also
> don't care to pay their extortionate tariff of 11 cents per minute for
> local calls.)

I'm not surprised.

I think a number of analog phone lines are now really something digital
to the neighborhood / house (possibly ~> likely VoIP) and splitting it
out the B1 locally.  So even those might not support modem / fax as well
as an old school B1.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die