Apollo Software

Daniel Seagraves dseagrav at lunar-tokyo.net
Tue Jan 23 09:24:44 CST 2018

> On Jan 23, 2018, at 9:14 AM, jim stephens via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>

> On 1/23/2018 6:30 AM, Daniel Seagraves via cctalk wrote:
>> The Saturn software, which is what actually flew from Earth to the moon,
> The navigation and guidance was in the CM and LM processors.  The Saturn IBM firmware is lost, but was under command of the LM and CM computers, and is running on simulators, as well as on some hardware replicas.

Absolutely wrong. The only time the CM computer flew the Saturn was in an abort scenario where the Saturn digital computer failed, and it happened via a data path from the FDAI needles to the Saturn’s analog control computer. At all other points prior to S4 staging the CM was strictly along for the ride. After S4 staging the CM and LM were on their own, but that was after the translunar burn.

> After I reread the thread, I think they were talking about saving the Apollo computer software, not the spacecraft.

They were.

> AGC software here, FWIW.
> https://www.ibiblio.org/apollo/

I know. I am one of the NASSP maintainers. We took the yaAGC core and built a spacecraft around it so we could actually use it instead of just running it to look at the pretty flashing numbers in the idle loop. The project has been in work for more than 10 years now. Right now we have the most complete Apollo simulation ever built, exceeding the capabilities of even the NASA training simulators. See http://nassp.sourceforge.net/wiki/Main_Page <http://nassp.sourceforge.net/wiki/Main_Page>