Foonlies

Wayne S Wayne.Sudol at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 31 18:47:49 CST 2018

Yes, they merged @ 1996 with the new company being named  AII  ("A" eye-eye). Then the combined company was bought by AGFA @2001.   All the big daily newspapers used their photo typesetters, the Autologic model APS6 and/or the III 3850.

They were fast and didn't break much and used Harlequin Rips so publications  could have any front end systems that spoke postscript. The Mac was coming into it's own as a relatively inexpensive non-proprietary publishing platform and the publishers and print houses liked that.

Right before the year 2000 scare, all the newspapers bought new ones with the result that Autologic/III made a bundle in 1999, then didn't really have any big orders for the following few years. I know that the LA Times bought 18 of them alone at @ $75K each. As the newspapers transitioned from film to computer-to-plate in the following years, AII couldn't keep up and  was ultimately bought by AGFA. There was a lot of competition in the CTP arena back then. I think AGFA moved the company to Cambridge, MA, from Thousand Oaks, California.

<http://aka.ms/weboutlook>