Looking for North star software

allison allisonportable at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 20:02:34 CDT 2018

On 07/03/2018 01:58 PM, Fred Cisin via cctech wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Jul 2018, Stephen Pereira via cctech wrote:
>> I believe that Mike Douglas has a utility program that you can get
>> into a Northstar Horizon, and then it can receive a .DSK image sent
>> from the terminal and it will write the disk for you in the Horizon.
>> It’s called PCtoFlop and I think he has it in his archive here:
>> http://deramp.com/downloads/north_star/
>> <http://deramp.com/downloads/north_star/>
>> Good luck!
>
> You "get it into a NorthStar", by already booting the NorthStar to
> CP/M, and using PIP.
>
> It looks like an excellent way to handle more images, including
> N*-DOS, AFTER you have CP/M working.

NO matter what first you have to boot the horizon and if you lack
prepared media its a hard stop.
Mike Douglass solved it by putting an Eprom on the ZPB-A as there is a
spot for a 2708 1K part.
He made up a header to use more common signal voltage parts like
2716/2732 and so on.
With a machine language monitor that allows loading bytes to memory the
process is then easy.

Me I cheated and used a spare 64K memory board that used 2kx8 parts and
put an eprom (2716) in
the F000H space.  Change the CPU boot address jumpers from E800/E900 to
F000h and now
you can talk to it via serial port.

The PCput and PCget are handy and no so big to hand insert.

Allison