8 inch floppies, decaying

Al Kossow aek at bitsavers.org
Wed Jul 11 10:54:44 CDT 2018

On 7/11/18 8:20 AM, Al Kossow via cctalk wrote:

> On 7/11/18 2:21 AM, Christian Corti via cctalk wrote:
>
>> I use Screen 99 for cleaning floppies
>
> MSDS
>
> https://store.comet.bg/download-file.php?id=16956
>
> first ingredient listed; isopropyl alcohol

Since I haven't mentioned it for a while, I had the best results with the old "Weber Costello Markerboard Cleaner",

(Octylphenoxy Polyethoxyethanol (Triton X-100) and Trisodium Phosphate) which is photoflow and a surficant.

then they changed the formula to make it 'green' :-(

Bought a few ingredients (Triton X-100 and Ethylene Glycol) but haven't tried making anything.

What you want is a lubricant and a cleaning agent that will take off any gunk on the surface without softening the binder.