AIM 65 Cassette Test Program

Bill Degnan billdegnan at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 10:27:36 CDT 2018

Hi all...I got the following through my web site.  Does anyone have a good
known-working test program for an AIM 65 cassette that I can attempt and or
send in response?  I still have to set mine up and attempt to reproduce,
but someone here likely has more experience, it has been at least 5 years
since I powered mine on.  Also, the article this guy references from MICRO
April 1979 volume 11 is not present in my copy of MICRO, he may be mistaken
in his reference.  I don't know what cassette program he is referencing.  I
do know that the cassette test program that comes in the Rockwell AIM 65
manual is in error, but I don't have the corrections.  I also know that one
needs the correct (optional otherwise) power lines when using cassette.
Bill

VintageComputer.net Inquiry -

I am one of the founders of the Computer Museum in Basel (CMBB/CMGB).

We have 2 AIM 65 units that seem functional. However, we're

experiencing problems with the cassette drive when trying to read back.

 We tried to record using cassette recorders and also a modern PC

through line in and the audio signals are clearly recognizable

(from pin M). A connection to pin L and using the corrected program

to test readback from "micro_11_apr_1979_text_syn_read_program_AIM65.pdf"

 only displays the "N" on either AIM 65 system. The cassette interface

potentiometers are sealed in one of the units by the manufacturer and

have never been changed as far as we can tell. Is there anything we

could try to get reading from tape to work? We are running our of

ideas. Is there any way to visualize the incoming signal through a

small program other than the one from the magazine?