SDL and SunOS

Christian Corti cc at informatik.uni-stuttgart.de
Mon Jul 23 01:46:56 CDT 2018

On Sat, 21 Jul 2018, carlos_murillo at ieee.org wrote:
> Under SunOS 4.1.4, the last gcc version that is supported is 3.3.6, but I
> haven't been able to build it on an IPX;  it gets to the point where it

Not quite true:

# uname -a
SunOS azu 4.1.1 10 sun4 unknown unknown SunOS

# gcc -v
Reading specs from /ibm/usr/lib/gcc/sparc-sun-sunos4.1.1/3.4.6/specs
Configured with: ../gcc-3.4.6/configure --prefix=/ibm/usr
--program-suffix=-3.4 --with-gnu-ld --with-ld=/ibm/usr/bin/ld
--with-gnu-as --with-as=/ibm/usr/bin/as --with-cpu=v7 --disable-nls
--with-libiconv-prefix=/ibm/usr --enable-obsolete
Thread model: single
gcc version 3.4.6

# ld --version
GNU ld 2.9.1
This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of
the GNU General Public License.  This program has absolutely no warranty.
   Supported emulations:
    sun4

# as --version
GNU assembler 2.9.1
This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of
the GNU General Public License.  This program has absolutely no warranty.
This assembler was configured for a target of `sparc-sun-sunos4.1.1'.

This is on a SUN 4/260 with 32MB RAM.

> starts running gengtype and eats all memory available (I have 64MB RAM and
> have added as much as 1024 swap and it still crashes).  So, for the time

Yes, there are such issues. The solution is to cross compile it with
distcc.

Christian