Thicknet/10base5 Test Segment: The Cable is In!

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Tue Jun 26 21:13:54 CDT 2018

On 06/26/2018 06:20 PM, Eric Smith via cctalk wrote:
> On 06/26/2018 03:15 PM, Grant Taylor via cctalk wrote:
>>> I can only guess that having a terminator too close interferes with or
>>> weakens the signal too much in some way.

No, I think it may have something to do with properly
detecting all collisions.  There are a whole bunch of
special cases, where short packets have crossed in the
middle of a segment.  This causes a collision at the nodes
in the center of the segment, but the nodes at the ends see
their own transmissions without interference. Possibly,
having the terminator too close to (one of) the sending
nodes might make this detection less reliable.   Hmmm, but
really, anything that goes past the last tap toward the
terminator ought to just DISAPPEAR, so that the length
beyond the tap should not matter.

Jon