Replica IBM 5150 PC motherboard

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Thu Mar 8 17:00:40 CST 2018

On Thu, 8 Mar 2018, Paul Berger via cctalk wrote:
> Hmmmm I don't remember my original PC having all the chips in sockets nor do
> I recall it having 64Kb DRAMs.  I clearly recall that it had one bank of
> 16Kb DRAMs soldered down and sockets for three more banks of 16Kb chips.
> The only other sockets on the board where for the ROM, CPU, and math
> coprocessor.  hardly a fathful reproduction.

I think that this is "revision B"??  (64KB - 256KB).  The REAL original
was 16K - 64K.

Since it is an unassembled board, you can achieve greater realism by
soldering in the parts, instead of soldering sockets.  If you DO solder
sockets, at least use GOOD ones.  My third "PC" was an unpopulated
imitation XT board (very common and CHEAP at the computer swaps), that I
populated with Augat sockets.

Do they offer a 5 slot case?
a buckling spring keyboard?

Their diagnostic ROM requires that the system be WORKING, and have video.
Howzbout the Fischer? diagnostic ROM, thta came with a hard-wired
configured serial port, that could perform some tests on a system that did
NOT boot to the point of video.