PDP8/e programmers consoles

Charles Dickman chd at chdickman.com
Fri Mar 16 19:28:30 CDT 2018

So the PDP8/e used the KC8-EA programmers console which has
incandescent indicator lamps and the PDP8/f used the KC8-FL
programmers console which has LED indicator lamps.

Why?

The maintenance manual says that LEDs are more reliable. The operation
is as far as I know the same. The LED version doesn't need the +8VDC
supply, but that seems an advantage for it. I remember reading that
the EAE had some revision dependencies with the console, so were there
bus timing problems with the LED console that limited it to short
buses?

Maybe this changed over time, but it overlapped long enough for them
to have both described in the maintenance manual and specific to the
application.

Another console question...

Has anyone ever seen a PDP8/i style console for the PDP8/e? Looking at
the way the PDP8/e console functions, it should be possible to time
multiplex all the register to the data bus so they are all visible at
once when the machine is halted.

-chuck