PDP8/e programmers consoles

Kyle Owen kylevowen at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 21:31:04 CDT 2018

On Fri, Mar 16, 2018, 20:58 allison via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
wrote:

> On 03/16/2018 08:28 PM, Charles Dickman via cctalk wrote:
> > So the PDP8/e used the KC8-EA programmers console which has
> > incandescent indicator lamps and the PDP8/f used the KC8-FL
> > programmers console which has LED indicator lamps.
> Wrong.  The 8f uses the same as the 8e.  It was the 8m that had the
> LED console.  If memory serves it was date of design that influenced it.

I have seen several 8/f systems that have LEDs, for what it's worth. I can
only imagine DEC was transitioning the 8/m and 8/f to take LEDs instead of
incandescents.

> I can be certain as I have an 8f built in 1973.  I've since moded it to
> take bright yellow LEDs as lamps are not easy to find and annoying
> to replace.  If I care to I can put the lamps back.  Since I put
> operational
> over absolute faithful its better as is, less digging in the box.

The bulbs are still available on Mouser. I've ordered a bunch for my 8/e
and have been very happy with them.

http://so-much-stuff.com/pdp8/repair/bulbs.php

> However its possible to swap the panels, I tried it once and it pass diags
> and worked fine.  Didn't like the red.

I've found that my LED 8/m is very hard to read, as the LEDs are very dim.

> > Another console question...
> >
> > Has anyone ever seen a PDP8/i style console for the PDP8/e? Looking at
> > the way the PDP8/e console functions, it should be possible to time
> > multiplex all the register to the data bus so they are all visible at
> > once when the machine is halted.
> No and can't!   The 8i (nor the 8L) was not omnibus.

I think he's aware (hence "style").

Kyle