ounting screw threads for VR201?

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Mon Mar 19 14:05:45 CDT 2018

On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 12:39 PM, Ethan Dicks via cctalk <
cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 2:18 PM, Alan Frisbie <Flash688 at flying-disk.com>
> wrote:
> > Ethan Dicks <ethan.dicks at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I don't happen to have a VR201 here right now to measure directly (or
> >> I would just do that), but IIRC, there's a threaded mounting insert on
> >> the bottom...
> >
> > There are four brass inserts in a trapezoidal pattern, each threaded
> > 1/4-20 (National Coarse).   The trapezoid is 7.0" center-to-center
> > for the two nearest the screen, and the rear ones are 5.0"
> center-to-center.
> > It is 5.0" between the front (screen) pair and the rear pair.
>
> Perfect.  Thanks, Alan!
>
> > Now, could someone please tell me the pinouts for the 15-pin connector?
> > I would like to use it to view RS-170 video, if possible.
>
> From the Rainbow pinout...
>
> http://www.larosse.net/pc100/dec100-vr201-cable.html
>
> ... I think the VR201 certainly matches the subset of that.  I don't
> know if the color pins are N.C. on thje VR201 (but I would hope so),
> but I have wired up a DA15 cable to tap +12V from an Amiga 2000 and
> display mono video from its mono composite output...
>
> 4    | Mono shield ground        | Shield ground for composite video
> coaxial cable
> 5,6 | Ground                          | Video, data, and power ground
> 7,8 | +12 V                            | + 12 V power to monitor and
> keyboard
> 12  | Mono video                    | Composite B/W video from the
> video processor on the system module
> 13  | No Connection               | Not used
> 14  | Keyboard received data  | KBD RXD Serial data transmitted
> (output) to keyboard
> 15  | Keyboard transmitted     |  KBD TXD Serial data received data
> (input) from keyboard

For the Rainbow (and I think the Pro to), there's a DC coupling that's not
normal that needs to be removed with a series capacitor:

>From 3.5.3 Keyboard/Monitor Connector (J3) Signals of The Rainbow 100
Technical Manual (EK-PC100-TM):

Video signals - Similar to EIA RS-170

*NOTE*

*The composite video (Mono Video) signal on pin 12 is dc coupled and
therefore not in strict agreement with RS-170. To agree with RS-170, the
composite video signal would require a 10 microfarad capacitor in series
with the output. *

I have all the parts needed to drive a modern LCD monitor using the Video
Camera to VGA adapter things, but haven't yet had the time to try it out.

Warner