IBM 6094-010 "Dials" protocol?

Michael Brutman mbbrutman at brutman.com
Sun Mar 25 00:29:34 CDT 2018

Picture here: https://i.imgur.com/ClCw070.jpg

Does anybody know how to talk to this thing?

I've got one of these devices but I don't have a reference for the
protocol.  It's a serial device so it's probably not terribly complicated,
but trying to figure it out by throwing random bytes at it might take a few
years.  SA23-2780-01 - "Option Instructions IBM 6094 010 Dials for AIX"
should have the description of the protocol, but I can't find this document
anywhere.

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/ssw_aix_71/com.ibm.aix.files/dials.htm
  gives some hints on how it is programmed - in particular it alludes to
"setting granularity" (sensitivity) which would be in addition to reading
the dials.  Somebody with access to an AIX box and that "special file"
might be able to dig up the commands.

I know IBM has professional archivists so I can try them for the document
referenced above if I can't find it other ways.  And I could probably find
the micro-controller inside, hope the ROM is readable, and try to
disassemble that, but  that would be a last ditch effort.

Regards,
Mike