WTD: Dell ML6000 (or similar) LTO library, Mid-Atlantic East Coast

ethan at 757.org ethan at 757.org
Wed Mar 28 12:14:02 CDT 2018

While this slightly deviates from classic computers, I've been on the hunt
for a surplus LTO library around the mid-atlantic East Coast for a bit.

The Dell ML6000 which is made by someone else is what has my eye. We have
one at work, lame robot that is very slow at changing tapes and looks sad
compared to the STK machines I used to work around. But the density of the
tape carts stored in the cabinet just can't be beat. I love some of the
larger IBM fridge sized LTO units but the tape density given cabinet size
just isn't there, but the scale out by adding cabinets side by side is
cool -- if I only had a basement. Say 280 carts for huge IBM box versus
133 carts in the Dell unit at 15 rack units high. No brainer.

The Dell ML6000 is also known as Quantum i500, and there is a super sexy
IBM version and also a HP badged version.

A few have popped up down in Florida and AZ for ~$100 or so with LTO3
drives which is ideal. But not proper timing.

I have a LTO5 drive or two for these that came from a trash bin, so in my
case I can upgrade the drives.

Tapes don't generate heat or use electricity when sitting idle, so it
seems ideal to backup my home NAS boxes and hoards of software for classic
computers, arcade / video games and laser show 8 and 16 channel digital
audio tape dumps.

--
: Ethan O'Toole