DEC BA213 and BA213 S-boxes?

Glen Slick glen.slick at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 13:50:04 CDT 2018

On Sat, Mar 31, 2018 at 9:04 AM, Bill Degnan via cctech
<cctech at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> FYI  - Not sure if I mentioned this but I too am working on setting up a
> DECServer 550 to be an 11/83.  Useful tips recently, thanks all.

Using an M7554 KDJ11-D DECserver 550 CPU (in which case it would be an
11/53), or with an M8190 KDJ11-B CPU?

Using an M7554 KDJ11-D DECserver 550 CPU is nice in that you get 1.5MB
of RAM on board and the two MMJ async ports on the S-handle bracket,
but of course it is slower than an M8190 KDJ11-B CPU because it has no
cache, no support for adding an FPJ11 FPA, and no support for PMI
memory.

With an M8190 KDJ11-B CPU you would have to hack up some sort of
bracket for the console async port, and for the diagnostic LED display
if you wanted that too. If DEC ever made an S-handle console panel for
the M8190 KDJ11-B CPU I have never seen one.