Old newsreader source code

Tapley, Mark mtapley at swri.edu
Wed May 9 16:58:31 CDT 2018

> On May 9, 2018, at 4:38 PM, Grant Taylor via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> On 05/09/2018 03:23 PM, Frank McConnell via cctalk wrote:
>> It occurred to me (and before I saw Peter Corlett’s post) to go looking for some of the old CD-ROMs that have been uploaded to archive.org, and I found this one:
>> https://archive.org/details/CDROM_March92
>
> While browsing through the file_listings-ls.txt file I noticed the following:
>
> 13266  200 -r-xr-xr-x   1 root     root       204800 Feb 26  1989 ./unix_c/editors/teco.tar
>
> Which jogged my a memory that someone was looking for a copy of TECO. Now to find the message that I'm remembering.
>

> --
> Grant. . . .
> unix || die

I recalled using NewsGrazer quite a bit on my NeXT. Source not available, but I did spot the alternative “Alexandra” which does include source code:

http://www.mulle-kybernetik.com/software/Alexandra/html/Download.html
	or
http://www.nextcomputers.org/NeXTfiles/Software/NEXTSTEP/Apps/Internet/News/

Source available under GNU public license.
I have no good idea what the effort would be to port this to your favorite platform; possibly prohibitive. I hope it’s useful in at least some fashion.
								- Mark