Eudora email client source code released

John Foust jfoust at threedee.com
Tue May 22 17:16:17 CDT 2018

At 02:55 PM 5/22/2018, Len Shustek via cctalk wrote:
>For the last five years I've been working with Qualcomm and others to allow the Computer History Museum to release the source code of what was, in my opinion, the finest email client ever written: Eudora. It's finally done!
>http://www.computerhistory.org/atchm/the-eudora-email-client-source-code/

Dang-nabbit.  Just a few weeks ago I decided I needed to move away from Eudora.
I uninstalled Office 2003 and bought a subscription to Office 365 and began
the search for a tool to move all my Eudora 7.1.0.9 email archives to Outlook PST.

I settled on https://weirdkid.com/emailchemy/ .  It failed until I cranked
its Java .vmoptions to 12 gig of RAM.  It's very slow...  as a single-threaded
Java app, it took at least two days for my i7 to crunch my 7 gigs of Eudora
folders. The PST is about twice as large.

Examining it in Outlook, it felt very slow compared to Eudora on the same
machine.  Slow to search, slow to view.  Made me think I'd need to break up
the PST into dozens of chunks.  I'm still using Eudora.

- John