A very sad PDP-8/S

Guy Dunphy guykd at optusnet.com.au
Sat Nov 3 05:27:24 CDT 2018

At 11:40 PM 2/11/2018 -0500, you wrote:
>still supper clean id love to have that even

I know how you feel. I've never had _any_ possibility of finding an old PDP machine before. Very happy to have this one.
Re dirt - actually it's pretty grimy. I did a preliminary dust off for the pics, but later it will get a
complete cleaning. After I have docs on where all the flip chips should be, and I figure out a non-marking way to
record which ones were in which slots, as I remove them to clean each one and the backplane.
With precious museum pieces like this, you DON'T write numbers on them in marker pen.

Just doing a quick eval now, since I'm already ridiculously stack-pushed with multiple other projects.

Highest priority: Make a mechanical guard for the wired backplane pins. As it is now, just putting the machine
down on a desk wrong could do major damage.
Have to do this before I even pack it away in the box again. It's just been *really* lucky so far, with only minor pin bending despite inadequate packing.

Guy