DEC Alpha Bug Check Crash

Patrick Finnegan pat at vax11.net
Mon Nov 12 12:30:02 CST 2018

On Mon, Nov 12, 2018 at 12:22 PM Jon Elson via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> On 11/11/2018 11:36 PM, Douglas Taylor via cctalk wrote:
> >
> > This is most likely correct.  I re-installed the OS on a
> > different SD card/SCSI2SD device and got a successful
> > graphics boot up.  Do SD cards drop bits or go bad?
> >
> UGH!  Yes, they can.  It SHOULD cause a device parity error,
> but I guess some of their coverage is less than 100%

You can buy "industrially rated" flash memory cards such as the
"SanDisk Industrial" labelled ones, which seems to help based on my
experience with SD cards in industrial controls systems at work.

Absolutely avoid cheap SD cards though, they aren't usually good for
more than a few re-writes in a digital camera type situation (linearly
write the card, and then erase the whole thing, repeat).  Things like
swap files on SD/CF cards may wear them out in a couple of hours of
use.

Pat