Working Ardent Titan on Youtube

Pontus Pihlgren pontus at Update.UU.SE
Tue Nov 27 01:53:01 CST 2018

On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 11:24:17AM -0600, Jon Elson wrote:
> On 11/26/2018 09:41 AM, Pontus Pihlgren via cctalk wrote:
> >Hi.
> >
> >Just restating what I said in another forum. This is
> >the coolest thing I've seen in a long while.
> >
> >Even though I'm an Ardent fan of sgi. SGI is left in
> >the dust by this machine.
> >

> Well, not absolutely sure of that.  I had a cast-off SGI IRIS 2020
> here that I got running for a while with donor boards before it died
> again.  I think the old IRIS could at least get somewhere close to
> that level of performance.  Probably the IRIS CPU was less powerful,
> but the graphics engine was pretty decent.

Certainly, SGI graphics was probably on par (I haven't looked closer),
but the Cray like vector processor adds a level of performance not
possible with contemporary SGI machines.

Also, do you mean the 3020 perhaps? Not sure if there was an IRIS 2020.
The CPU in the 2000 and 3000 series was motorola 68k, it was with the
"4D" product line that SGI introduced the MIPS and the first models was
only single CPU systems.

Either way, do you have anything left of your IRIS? I have a 3120, which
worked when last turned on.

Regards,
Pontus.