PDP8 key (Was: Text encoding Babel.

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Fri Nov 30 22:38:00 CST 2018

>>> Or, if you prefer, I can dig through some old posts on this list, and tell
>>> you the depths of the cuts for XX2247.  It has been widely discussed a few
>>> years back.
>>
>> On Mon, 25 Apr 2011, Ethan Dicks wrote:
>>> 1 - 0.0155"
>>> 2 - 0.0310"
>>> 3 - 0.0465"
>>> 4 - 0.0620"
>>> 5 - 0.0775"
>>> 6 - 0.093"
>>> 7 - 0.1085"

On Sat, 1 Dec 2018, Guy Dunphy wrote:
> How come there are 8? The lock only has 7 pins.

Those are not the depths of this key.  Otherwise, it would just be a ramp!
Those are the "standard" depths for the different key cuts on Ace locks.
I think that those are the OFFICIAL depths.  Expect a little variance.
(as shown in the measurements listed below)

Lock manufacturers have a very limited number of different depths.  in
this case 8 different depths.  The "key code" is a list of the depths
used on a given key.  Then, each combination is given a totally arbitrary
number, in this case "XX2247". An arbitrary number is used, rather than
the depths, so that the number can be stamped on the key, but somebody
looking at the key and reading the number won't be given the actual
depths, without having to measure.

A locksmith will look up that arbitrary number in a "code book" (now
usually online), which will use that arbitrary number as an index into a
table, and give back the specific keyblank, and the list of cuts.  In this
case, looking up "XX2247" gives back "Ace tubular blank, cuts: 5, 1, 7, 3,
7, 5, 7"  Each manufacturer has their own names for the same blanks, such
as "Ilco 1137"
The locksmith then looks up "depth and spacing" for that line of lock,
which tells him how far apart the pins are, and what the standard depths
are.  (Q: "How deep should a # 5 cut be?"    A: 0.0755")

On your HOUSE key, for example, there will probably be 5 or 6 cuts, each
of which will be one of 10 possible depths.
House keys instead of an arbitrary number will often have the depth
numbers stamped on the key.
"Depth and spacing" tells how far from the stop each of those cuts will
be, and what the standard depths are for that brand/model of lock.

There will usually be 7 cuts.  Each one of which can any of those 8
possible depths.
Thus,
5-1-7-3-7-5-7
means one pin at depth #5 (0.0775"),
followed by the next pin being at depth #1 (0.0155"),
then a pin at depth #7 (0.1085"),
then a pin at depth #3 (0.0465"),
then another pin at depth #7,
then another pin at depth #5,
then another pin at depth#7

After you cut your key, stamp "XX2247" on it, so that you will know which
of your keys is the one for the PDP8.

Here's another post with less assumption of locksmith terminology: