Advice needed: Entry point into things PDP-8

Bill Degnan billdegnan at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 23:11:22 CDT 2018

On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 11:39 PM Carlos E Murillo-Sanchez via cctalk <
cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> Greetings all...
>
> I have been pondering something and would love to receive feedback from
> you.  The thing
> is, I would like to have something pdp8-ish that would allow me to play
> a little bit
> with the programming languages that were available for these machines,
> FORTRAN 4K and
> FORTRAN IV in particular.  Now,  I would love to be able to time some
> FORTRAN jobs just
> to get an idea about what it was like back then.  I am aware of PiDP-8,
> simh, as well as
> SBC6120, SBC6120RBC.

Carlos,
My opinion....Get a PiDP8.  They're great for so many things including
testing, file transfer, and making disks. I have mine set to boot into simH
via serial terminal so it will immediately act like a PDP 8 running OS/8.
Once you get a working real PDP8, whatever, the type you can use the PiDP8
safely to experiment, compare and contrast, build media, etc
I have documented the process on my web site, and there are many others who
have also done this.
Bill