Desktop Metaphor

Curious Marc curiousmarc3 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 20:38:37 CDT 2018

As they used to say, Windows95 = Mac 1984. Which is pushing it a bit but has some truth in it... Maybe Mac 1990. Curiously, the Xerox Alto has quite advanced GUI and object oriented programming (including the smalltalk windowing environment), but no desktop metaphor or icons that I have seen. I believe desktop metaphors appear later in the Alto commercial successor, the Xerox Star, and in the Apple Lisa, which bears strong Xerox influences. Xerox’s desktop metaphor pushes the object concept a bit far, while the Lisa got what would become the modern ubiquitous version of the concept almost dead on. Did I get this approximately right? Are there any other GUI desktop metaphors that predates this?
Marc