Desktop Metaphor

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 12:43:21 CDT 2018

On Tue, 23 Oct 2018 at 19:12, ben <bfranchuk at jetnet.ab.ca> wrote:

> On 10/23/2018 4:33 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
> > On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 at 21:19, ben via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> >
> >> Try and find a printed page size PDF
> >> reader, or one a tad smaller. Reading a PDF on a KINDLE DOES NOT WORK.
> >
> > I suggest you look at the Kindle DX.
> >
> > I bought one. I got it 2nd hand, from the USA, via eBay.
> >

> I piced up a used 9.7 inch Onyx Boox off ebay.
> I live in CANADA so got the useless AMAZON -- no selecton, massive
> shipping charges, and no products sold from CANADA.

I do use Amazon, but I live in the Czech Republic. There's no Czech
Amazon either (although the company has a big office here.)

But I don't buy ebooks, at all, from anyone, so I don't care.

I use Calibre to sync stuff to/from my Kindle DX, or just mount it as
a filesystem and copy it in manually.

https://calibre-ebook.com/

> When I was looking for a new reader, all I could find was the 6" crap
> on the web, thus my kindle statement. Until they bring back the DX
> I still feel we are stuck with crappy low priced readers and windows 95
> windows.

I found a PDF that reliably caused my Kindle DX to reboot the moment I
opened it.

So I bought a cheap Chinese tablet (a Chuwi Hi9 Air) and now I mostly use that.

> Where do you get them? I know of Bitsavers but that is all.

Lots of places -- there are many. Scribd is one. Direct downloads, mostly.

> PS: WIRTH still has his stuff around for GUI system.
> https://people.inf.ethz.ch/wirth/

Yes, that's on there. :-)