Teletype cheap

Tony Duell ard.p850ug1 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 22:31:12 CDT 2018

On Sat, Oct 27, 2018 at 3:38 AM steve shumaker via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> OK, got it.  Will be my first one. Now, how does one transport the
> thing?   Does it easily come off the pedestal?   Can it be laid on it's
> back?  Anything need to be secured before it gets moved?

It does come off the stand easily. Do not lay it on its back without
either removing or securing the typing unit (main mechanical chassis).

To expand on that....

To get it off the stand, first take the backplate off the stand (I think it's
a couple of obvious screws). There may be a power supply for the reader
inside the stand, there may be other electronics (unlikely). Unplug the
cables.IIRC the reader power supply just unclips.

There are 4 screws going up through the top flanges of the stand into the
base pan of the machine. Get a couple of (strong) friends to steady the machine
itself and take the screws out. Then just lift it off the stand. It
_will_ tip forwards
if not steadied, hence needing the friends.

The typing unit is only resting on rubber vibration isolators, it is not fixed
down. There is a hole on the bottom of the machine where you can fit
a screw (it was some kind of self-tapping thing) into the cast metal
base of the typing unit to anchor it. But I find it easier to remove the
typng unit.

To do that, take off the top cover : Pull off the knob on the front and the
platten knob. Slide the front nameplate thing down to remove it. Take
out the screws thus exposed, the thumbscrews on the back. There may
be a screw at the rear left corner of the reader cover (on the side) but
it is almost always missing. Lift off the cover.

Unplug the connectors at the back of the call control unit (electronics
chassis) and disconnect the wires from the little leaf swtich at the rear
right of the typng unit.

Now look down behind the rear right corner of the keyboard. There's
a flat metal plate, the 'H plate', so called because of its shape that
connects the keyboard trip linkage to the typing unit. Put a flat
blade screwdriver in the slot and slide the H plate against spring
tension to free it. Get it out.

Then lift the typing unit -- complete with the carriage, motor, and
tape punch -- up slightly. Slide it towards the rear to free the runout
linkage from under the keyboard. Take the typing unit all the way out.

-tony