modern stuff - i860

Randy Dawson rdawson16 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 26 15:26:56 CDT 2018

Two design wins I remember:

TrueVision, the AT&T computer graphics people that did the TARGA video boards had software to back the board sales up, a 3D animation package TOPAS.
Beautiful, but dog slow even on the fastest 25MHz PCs at the time, so they had ported it to the i860 as an add in card.  I think render frame rates went from minutes to a few seconds.  I used TOPAS under DOSBox on a current PC, and it screams.  Its up on Vetusware if your interested.

The famous graphic supercomputer hardware war, Ardent / Stellar, the later merge and purchase by Kubota had two applications, Dore' and Advanced Visualization System, AVS.
These impressive machines were canned, and Kubota came out with a i860 desktop for graphics.  I remember the introduction in Houston, and the 3D geophysicists and petro exploration guys were all over it.  the graphics demos and computation capability was amazing.

I never knew what happened to that workstation.