VAX Lisp, Macsyma, Maxima

jim stephens jwsmail at jwsss.com
Sat Oct 27 22:25:09 CDT 2018

On 10/24/2018 4:07 PM, David Coolbear via cctalk wrote:
> Does anyone know if any of these are still available for OpenVMS VAX?
This was posted on the Multics thread in February.

Eric Swenson got the original-ish MACSYMA built and running in ITS.

It's frankensteined together from a mix of source and FASL files from
ITS, Lisp machine Macsyma sources, etc.

You might contact him.  Email me off list, and I'll forward his contact
info if you can't contact him thru the
Multicians list.  I would imagine it's not for the faint hearted to get
it going if you do not have experience with
Lisp.

I played with it quite a lot in 75 on the Multics system  It was like
I'd discovered that Hal9000 was real, as everyone
probably  knows.

I have somewhere a complimentary copy from the people who licensed it
and had a version for the x86.  I think
4 of the original people on the project worked for the company which did
it, and they were very nice if your
were a real multician.  But that won't have any sources, just an install
for the system you used it on.

It would be great for someone to do that if it worked and you can get it
to run there.
thanks
Jim