i860: Re: modern stuff

Rob Doyle radioengr at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 22:43:56 CDT 2018

I'm aware of some airborne (avionics) computers that used i960s.  There
were Mil-spec versions available.

I believe the i960 really only found a niche in embedded applications.
If I recall correctly, the i960 became available at about the same time
as the 80386 but was less expensive.  At the time, you couldn't afford
to put a 80386 in an embedded application because Intel was getting
artificially high prices due to PC-based pricing.

Intel later tried to address the embedded market pricing issues by
releasing the 80376 and later the 80386EX.  Both those products were
munged so they couldn't run DOS and that kept their pricing model intact.

The i960 did have a user mode and supervisor mode - so it could have
supported a 'real' OS.

Rob.