Milwaukee Computers MC-1200

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Mon Sep 3 10:46:28 CDT 2018

On 09/03/2018 07:58 AM, Al Kossow via cctalk wrote:

> One thing I noticed that made me nervous is looking at the code there is no
> checksum on either the sector address or data fields on the floppy. I made an
> image of a floppy that I bulk-erased and initialized this morning, and all you
> see are the sync bytes and data, no trailing data where a crc would be.

Looking at the ROM code disassembly, that certainly appears to be the
case.   Perhaps the attitude was "if you want to check your data,
include a check in the data yourself".   It wouldn't be the first time
that this was done.

Contrast with the Moto app note here for an 8" 3740-compatible setup
using the 6852:

http://www.bitsavers.org/components/motorola/6800/exorciser/AN764_A_Floppy_Disk_Controller_Using_the_MC6852_Oct76.pdf

I recall that a friend had a KIM-1 with the KMISI expansion and a single
SA400 floppy disk drive.  I don't recall the details, but getting
reliable operation was nearly impossible.

--Chuck