What platform can run m68k COFF binaries?

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 14:39:20 CDT 2018

Hi, All,

I have a backup of some old code that I thought came from a Sun3
machine, and indeed, there _are_ binaries on there, in a directory
'sun' that _do_ run on a Sun3, verified under emulation with "tme".

The part that puzzles me is the collection of object files and
binaries in the directory above that.  'file' tells me that they are
"m68k COFF" files.  From what I've read so far, COFF binaries are from
System V Release 2-4.  What I can't reconcile is what they might have
been compiled on.  Is it possible these were made for A/UX?  The
relevant file dates (late-1988 through mid-1989) do overlap
availability of A/UX version 1.

If these are for A/UX, it would be handy to verify this, then it would
be more handy to be able to run them (I have source for some of this
but I'm having problems getting modern C compilers to digest
30-year-old crufty code, and for a couple of the utilities I need,
there is no source).

I'm reading of a "shoebill" emulator.  Anyone have any experience with it?

Additionally, I'm reading that FreeBSD has a binary compatibility
layer for COFF but I wonder if that's for Intel binaries only or if it
extends to m68k.

I have a lot of experience with UNIX but my thinnest amount is in the
m68k arena (mostly some dabbling on Sun3 workstations and a
Perkin-Elmer 7350).  Thanks for any pointers or tips.

-ethan