What platform can run m68k COFF binaries?

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Wed Sep 5 15:00:03 CDT 2018

On Wed, Sep 5, 2018 at 1:39 PM Ethan Dicks via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
wrote:

> Additionally, I'm reading that FreeBSD has a binary compatibility
> layer for COFF but I wonder if that's for Intel binaries only or if it
> extends to m68k.

FreeBSD never ran on 68k, so I think that would be no.

NetBSD, however, did and you would likely be able to run them there.
There's even a sys/compat/sunos directory with this tasty comment:
 * the code below is only needed for sun2/sun3 emulation.
in sunos_exec_aout.c which is suggestive. IIRC, I had a friend that had a
special SunOS sun3 binary he ran on NetBSD on one of his 68k machines, but
that was at least 10 years ago or more and I've lost touch with him...

Now, this assumes it's sun3 running SunOS and not some variation of SysV.
That too might work, but might not.

Warner